Tuesday, May 4, 2010

apparently I do monthly blog posts?

Yeah, I'm in the middle of exams, I am generally lazy, and oftentimes, when I open this thing up to do a blog post, it feels too much like homework. So, there are my excuses. I hope you liked them.

I am a big nerd, no joke. I like reading, I like grammar, I knit, I listen to NPR. I could make quite a long list of reasons why I am a giant nerd. But this whole Star Wars Day thing? That is too nerdy to be tolerated. Lia kept seeing facebook/gchat statuses proclaiming "May the 4th be with you," and upon her diligent Wikipedia research, she determined that this was related to the horrifying nerdiness that is a Star Wars holiday. Guys, let's bring the turbo-nerd stuff down a notch. That is just TOO MUCH.

Since my last monthly post (I swear I'll be better about that after next week), was about orange cake, and I didn't give you the recipe, I will today! Consider it my gift to you. It turns out amazing, it did not crumble into 938475893 little crumbs when I cut it, and best of all, YOU USE CAKE MIX. Folks, I am not ashamed of cake mix recipes. Let me tell you, cake that you make with a cake mix turns out more moist (even though I hate that word) and delicious than anything you can throw together with butter and flour.

So, without further ado, here is the recipe for fantastical orange cake:

Cake Ingredients:
  • 1 box orange supreme cake mix (Duncan Hines is the best)
  • 1 small box orange jell-o
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
Filling:
  • 1 16 ounce container sour cream
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 orange (juice and pulp) OR 1/2 cup orange juice with pulp (that's what I did)
Icing:
  • 1 cup filling mixed with 1 8 or 12 oz. container of Cool Whip
Directions:
  • Ignore the ingredients on the cake box and mix above cake ingredients together, blending well. Bake in 8-inch round pans as according to directions on cake box.
  • Cool layers completely (SERIOUSLY, they have to be totally cool) and split layers.
  • Mix filling ingredients, and spread generously between layers as you stack them. Reserve one cup filling for frosting.
  • Frost with cool whip and one cup filling, mixed together.
  • Let sit in refrigerator for at least 24 hours before cutting. Refrigerate any leftovers.

I have to get through my PR exam on Thursday, but on Friday, I am SO EXCITED to be going to see Clay Walker in concert. Most of you are probably scratching your heads. But for some reason, when I was little (and I mean little little, like 5) I developed a terrible, unhealthy crush on Mr. Walker. You just watch that video and learn why my little 5-year-old heart had to have him. Or just get really disturbed, whichever. Anyway, I am feeling like I might get there 5 hours early and stand next to the stage and pant a lot until he comes out. And then I'll ask him to marry me and promise to have his babies and wash his underwear.

I'll let you know how that goes/what PB thinks of all these shenanigans, since he'll be there too. Maybe it will be a big fight between PB and Clay. Actually, that's kind of hot. Maybe I'll bring chocolate pudding and set up a wrestling ring. CLEARLY FRIDAY NIGHT IS GOING TO BE EPIC.


No comments: