Saturday, December 15, 2012

27 and 28 Weeks

Oh heyyyyy, third trimester!  I really can't believe that I have 11 weeks and some change before this guy is due.  What in the world?  I guess this is the part of pregnancy where I am supposed to be miserable and uncomfortable and hate life.  Yes, I'm waddling.  Yes, I have heartburn like WHOA most days if I don't load up on Zantac and Tums, and yes, my back and hips are starting to get pretty uncomfortable at night.  All in all though, we're still doing ok.  I'm definitely not ready to get him out of there yet because I'm still enjoying feeling all these crazy kicks and acrobatics that he's really stepped up in the last two weeks.  We're to the point now where you can visibly see my belly jump all over the place when he moves, it is the weirdest and coolest thing I've ever seen!

27 weeks, 2 days - I seem to always remember to do pictures when I am in the skeevy work bathroom these days.  I need to work on finding better scenery.

28 weeks exactly, again in the skeevy work bathroom.

Marination Time: 28 weeks, 4 days as of today

Musings on the Weekly Photo: Other people seem to notice that I'm getting bigger more than I do.  I mean I think I can tell a little difference, but not that much?

This Week's Produce Item: 27 weeks - Rutabaga!  Um, odd - not sure I've ever even seen a rutabaga in person.

28 Weeks - Eggplant

Real Life Produce Item of the Week:
Still a lunch box through week 28.

Currently Craving: Anything sweet! Toaster strudel, school cafeteria peach crisp, birthday cake, you name it.

Currently Avoiding: Nothing? Even had my first cheeseburger of pregnancy last week!

Weight: Ugh, last time I weighed, I had hit the big 160 mark.  I've determined that it really doesn't matter what I eat, how much I exercise, or how I feel about it - every time I get on the scale, it's going up by at least a pound.  

Symptoms: Sometimes I get heartburn so bad I either feel like I'm about to throw up or have a heart attack.  I take Zantac twice a day (and now a double dose, since my doctor told me to start) and pop Tums occasionally.  My hips and back tend to hurt at night from sleeping on my sides, so I'm usually ready to get up and moving in the morning.  Still don't have any stretch marks on the belly, though my belly button is kind of sore from being so stretched - I'm just biding my time until they show up because I feel like they're coming.

Belly Button Status: Oh it's still way out.  Still don't have any stretch marks on the belly, though my belly button is kind of sore from being so stretched - I'm just biding my time until they show up because I feel like they're coming.

Sleep Grade: Not awesome lately, I tend to wake up about 4 and lightly sleep through some crazy dreams and wake up constantly until the alarm clock goes off.  I managed to sleep in until 7:45 this morning until the hips woke me up!

Movement: I think this week deserves a video - since you can actually see it!

Appointments: I had my gestational diabetes test at 28 weeks exactly.  So that involves showing up, doing all the standard blood pressure/scales of shame/pee in a cup/answer the standard questions...and then the medical assistant gives you a little bottle of sugary drink and says you have 5 minutes to drink it.  You get the choice of fruit punch or orange - I asked what the house specialty was, and she recommended the orange.  I'll second that, it kind of tastes like orange Kool-Aid or flat Fanta.

Then they make you sit in the lobby for an hour until Dorothy the lab tech comes out and takes you to the back to draw your blood.  If you're like me, you're feeling pretty good about yourself because you didn't eat anything after 10:15 and it's now 4:15 (even though they told you not to fast) and what you DID eat was a salad with grilled chicken, cheese, and a boiled egg.  You're also feeling pretty confident because the drink hasn't made you feel bad and you're thinking you've beat the system.

She takes your blood, then they say you'll probably hear something by Wednesday if it's bad news.  Then on Friday, you'll eat cake at the perfect attendance celebration AND cafeteria peach crisp thirty minutes later, because you don't HAVE the diabeetus, yo.  You feel a little sorry for all those poor suckers you know who failed and had to go back for a three hour test or have piggy little babies because they have gestational diabetes that they don't control.  Your pancreas is a beast, as far as you're concerned.

Then your phone rings an hour later.  And the too-perky nurse tells you that you failed.  Not just failed, failed with a big, fat F.  I was supposed to be at 130 or less - I was at 165.  Then you try not cuss the nurse on the phone in front of your thirty students.  

And then, this is who you become:

I have to go back Monday, take the three hour test where they make you drink MORE orange stuff and stick you four times.  I couldn't be more excited.  Realistically, there's a 65% chance that I DON'T actually have the diabeetus. But then who knows.  Maybe I do.  At any rate, Monday should just be a barrel of fun.

Highlights of the Week: 
On a more exciting note, we bought a carseat and stroller that I love!

It's also Brenda-approved.

I adore the orange!

We did what everybody on the interwebs and at the doctor's office and the president and NASA tell you not to - we bought it from Craigslist.  But as it turns out, it was from a family that is mutual friends with someone else I know and who seems quite trustworthy.  It hasn't "expired" (yes, carseats do expire, it's very weird) and they promise me it's never been in an accident.  Their kid is just too big for it now.  So, that meant scoring a basically brand new travel system and 2 car seat bases for $125 - whoop whoop!

Then, PB and I drove in the Kannapolis Christmas parade, which is sort of neat because it's a night parade.  Everybody decks out their apparatus with lights and such and it's a nice, short little parade.  PB rode on top of the firetruck and I drove one of the grand marshalls (and his wife, and his 2 miniature poodles, but that's another story).  It was Ira's first parade!

Finally, on a much sadder note, Grandma M passed away on December 3.  She had been terribly sick following surgery for a few weeks, and passed away at the Hospice House.  It was so hard for the family, but honestly the Hospice House is a wonderful place, and I think at the end, we all knew that she had to be at peace.  She got to feel Ira kick and move before she died, but I hate that he will never meet her, because she was such a smart, spunky, adorable little lady.  

Well, those are the highlights of this time, we'll know for sure if I need to start calling Liberty Medical for my diabeetus supplies.  I'll keep you updated!

No comments: