Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Feeling a little more official!

Well, today was an awesome day - I went to new teacher orientation this afternoon and it was just lovely!  I was nervous about it, but everyone is so sweet and honestly I don't think I've ever had so much fun listening to lectures and filling out paperwork.

I put together a fun little outfit...I think one thing I love about this job so far is that it doesn't require dressing like the warden of a women's prison.  Everywhere I've worked previously, it's sort of been dark suit/conservative shirt/dark pumps.  It was fun to throw on something bright colored this afternoon to head out of the house!


I went over to the professional development center, and the sweet ladies from HR and one of the Teach Charlotte directors was there to walk us through everything.  It felt so real when they took my picture and handed me my official ID badge!


See?  I feel so official! We filled out all of our tax forms, payroll deposit forms, and got sent to pee in a cup for drug testing and get fingerprinted.  There's still so much to be done, mainly passing the Praxis test, but it still felt good to be one step closer.

Not to mention the blog world is seriously amazing, and I've been talking to Kristin over at Skinny Jeans and a Chai Latte and she's been making me feel so much less nervous about my Praxis tests.  I'm also so glad to have made blog-friends with her because she's a special ed teacher in Raleigh, who doesn't necessarily come from an education background (like yours truly!)  So basically, if you're not reading her blog, you should.  'Cause I like her.

I could still explode if I think about all I have to do - somehow I've managed to be on hour 6 of Barbri today plus go to orientation and make dinner.  Thank goodness PB is pretty much doing all of the yardwork, all of the laundry, and generally following me around cleaning up the huge disastrous wake I tend to leave around the house.  

Promise to catch up on everyone's blogs soon - I'm there, lurking around, even if I don't have time to comment!

No comments: