Sunday, November 6, 2011

Menu Sunday

I say "Menu Sunday" like it's something I do every Sunday.  Or something I've done any Sunday.  But hey, other folks do menu days of the week, so I figure Sunday is as good a day as any.  And I have actually been cooking some things recently, rather than just growling at PB that I need Chinese takeout, which was my MO when I was so busy trying to catch up after the wedding.

Here's what we've been eating lately:


The in-laws gave me a ton of corn to freeze, so I've been serving a lot of corn on the cob.  Delicious.  The ribs were on sale when I was poking around at Food Lion, and they turned out to be absolute perfection.  I didn't change a thing about the pork recipe and it was amazing.  Definitely brown the ribs before you cook them - don't skip that part!

Oh, and PB did all the plating and fixed "dessert" - sliced apples.  Cute.



Fondue night!

Or "Cook Your Own Damn Food Night" as PB calls it.  My friend Lia introduced me to this idea and it's a lot of fun.  Normally, I get more into this with a spice rub, a bunch of different kinds of meat, and maybe even chocolate fondue for dessert.  But this time, since it was just me and PB, I grabbed a pack of spicy Italian Johnsonville brats on sale at the grocery store, some mushrooms, and chopped up some potatoes I had.  

I fired up a little cooking material in the fondue part, which is just half red wine and half vegetable broth, or thereabouts.  I add a little garlic, salt, and pepper and BAM, fondue.  Fair warning though - the boiling wine sauce in your house is going to make it STANK.  It's worth it, but get ready for a night of your house being a little smelly.

Creamy Tortellini Soup

I liked this recipe a lot, but PB was not a fan.  Basically, anything that doesn't include meat isn't a winner in PB's book.  After we finished, the little meanie goes, "Okay, so what are we eating for dinner?"

So maybe it's a little girly.  But I'd recommend it.


I made some banana nut muffins to keep around this week.  Because you know, what I need is muffins to add my already-off-the-chain muffin tops.  But they're yummy and weren't hard to make.  

Chili, which is sort of my own creation.  I've played with about a million different recipes and finally figured out what works for us.

Ingredients:
1 package McCormick slow cooker chili seasoning
1 tablespoon cumin
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon garlic

32 oz can crushed or diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can Ro-Tel, undrained
1 can light red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 medium white onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef

Brown ground beef and onion in skillet.  Drain well.  Mix in slow cooker with remaining ingredients.  Cook on low for 6 hours.

And there you have it - what we've been eating this week!

What's been cooking in your kitchen lately?

No comments: