Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Ten on Tuesday!

I'm back from DC, just in time for Ten on Tuesday!  I'll do a big, fun recap post later, but right now, I'm buried in laundry and housecleaning, so we'll just stick with ToT for the moment.
Thanks to Chelsea at Roots and Rings for being the cruise director as always, and to Laurie at Some Catchy Thing for coming up with this week's questions!  Clearly she's a girl after my own heart, as it's a week of food questions again!
1. What is a food that you never thought you would try, but then tried and liked?
Sushi involving raw fish.  I was always okay with sushi because come on, cooked shrimp/crab + rice + veggies = win!  But I ordered a roll one day that I thought had cooked scallops and it turns out they were raw.  But, if you know me, you'll know that I generally eat whatever you put in front of me, so I applied that policy to said raw scallops.  And it turns out that it was delicious!  So now I order sushi with raw components like tuna all the time.
2. Do you subscribe to any foodie publications? If so, which ones?  
No....occasionally, I'll grab a Taste of Home magazine in line at the grocery store if it has amazing-looking things in it.  But pretty much all of my recipes come from tasteofhome.com - I'm simple when it comes to food.
3. What ingredient do you find yourself reaching for the most when you cook?
Hmmm....well, not so much lately, but as spring and summer come, probably basil!  When I have it fresh, it goes in everything.  And I make lots of pesto and lots of pasta, so it always goes in that, no matter what.
4. Are there any foods that you hated as a child, but then learned to like as an adult?
Hmm, can't really think of anything.  I guess as a kid I was super-opposed to sandwiches.  The texture of regular loaf bread really freaks me out, it's like the one thing on earth I really don't like.  I guess I've relaxed on it somewhat as an adult, just out of necessity.  Lots of times, especially when you're on vacation with a big group at the beach or something, that's all that exists for lunch, so you have to suck it up.  So I don't really "like" it - but I've learned to tolerate it.
5. What do you like to eat that others may consider weird?
Mushrooms straight out of the jar.  Rice for breakfast.  Fried egg on a burger (just had that yesterday  - was amazing).  I'm sure there are lots of other things I can't think of right off the top of my head.  But I'm a weirdo.
6. What is the weirdest ingredient you’ve ever cooked with?
Hmm.  Don't know that I've ever really cooked with anything "weird."  This ain't Iron Chef, man.
7. Do you have any major food allergies?
Definitely not - I love food too much, I'd be a huge whiner if there was anything you told me I couldn't have.  
8. Is there an ingredient that you would like to cook with, but are intimidated to try?
Whole chickens. I'll agree with Chelsea.  Any kind of meat with bones in it really freaks me out (at least when I think of having to cook and carve it).  Whenever I buy/use chicken, it's pretty much chicken breast straight into the crock pot or onto the grill.
9. Do you bake?
Yes, I love to bake!  Cupcakes are really my favorite, and I love coming up with different combinations.  I started out with the Cake Mix Doctor book (which I highly, highly recommend) and then started putting my own variations on her recipes.  Goodness, now I need a cupcake....
10.  If you could go on any “foodie” show to compete, which one would it be, and why?
I would probably lose on all of them because I am a simpleton who loves to cook with Campbell's soup and I've been known to get intense Spam cravings.  As far as eating goes, I think I'd rather have the food on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives than something they serve on Top Chef.  Is it me or do those fancy little portions always seem so small?  I get hungry, y'all.

No comments: