Thursday, November 18, 2010

A-Town Bound

I'm heading down to ATL after class with some other lawyerin' school folks, to compete in the William Daniel Mock Trial Invitational. The reason I am most excited about this? It means that after this weekend, the competition will be over! And I can regain some semblance of a life! Yay! I am not the kind of person who stays at the law school for hours upon hours every day. Ever, ever, ever. And so now that I've started on this trial team thing, that's been a necessity, and it kind of makes me want to scream every second I'm here outside of class.

But anywho, I haven't been to Atlanta since...and this is a great reason...the Association of Christian Schools International Spelling Bee. Regionals were in Atlanta, and in sixth grade, I got to go. It was SUPER EXCITING, let me tell you. So if you're from Hot-lanta (trying now to use every obnoxious nickname I know, clearly): I need suggestions. What can't I miss? I don't have a ton of time at all, so I'm really talking restaurants, maybe a hangout spot or two. We'll be staying across from the CNN center, so you know the general area, and the competition is in the courthouse.

The "crime scene" in our problem is Manuel's Tavern, which is apparently a big, old Atlanta hangout, and we're going there for a post-competition party/reception on Saturday night, before the final rounds on Sunday. Other than that, we don't really have plans to be anywhere other than the courthouse.

I've been frantically packing, which I hate. I always, always, always forget something while simultaneously managing to overpack. How does that even work? Example: I've already realized I forgot to bring my jacket. Definitely left it hanging in the closet, so I have nothing for mornings/evenings when it gets chilly. Fail. Maybe I can do a Target run or something when we get there, after I realize I've forgotten 19 other things, despite the fact that I have 46 pairs of pajama pants in my duffel bag.

Anywho, I'll be MIA most likely for the next few days, until after we get home and I throw myself into full-out Thanksgiving mode. My official list of responsibilities for Thursday includes:

Hashbrown Casserole
Garlic-Cheese Biscuits
Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Pumpkin Gooey Cake

I'll post some recipes when I get back - those are a collection of my "Greatest Hits" recipes if you will, and they are all super-easy ways to be real impressive at T-giving. Have a lovely weekend!

1 comment:

Claire Kiefer said...

FUN! I'm from Atlanta! I might not be the most help when it comes to suggestions cause I haven't lived there since I was 18 (though I go home to visit twice a year). I feel like Manuel's Tavern is not very far from Little Five Points, which is a fun area to visit and shop. As for restaurants, I hear Flip is all the rage. They have all kinds of gourmet hamburgers and a famous Krispy Kreme donut milkshake. :) I love Cafe Intermezzo on Peachtree in Midtown--good food, every kind of drink, coffee, and dessert you can imagine, and open incredibly late.

Mellow Mushroom is my favorite pizza in the world, so if you see one of those, go there! There are tons of fun things to do in Atlanta--I hope you have a great time!