Wednesday, February 16, 2011

What you've been waiting for - mountain recap!

I've been trying to muster the strength to write a post-mountains recap, but it just hasn't happened yet.  Lately I have been so exhausted, I just haven't been able to really get anything done.  For example, last night I slept for 9 hours, then I drank 20 ounces of coffee and 24 ounces of Diet Sundrop, and I still don't want to do anything but lay my head down on my desk and just start snoring and drooling.  It all stems from how I'm that girl who goes and whines to her doctor (I hate those girls, I don't know how I became one) - but hopefully I'm gonna get this body straightened out soon.  And then I will have energy to do something more than lay under the electric blanket and watch Teen Mom 2.

Anywho, I digress.  Back to the mountain vay-cay from this past weekend.  There's something about the mountains that makes me want to put on sweatpants, crack open a beer, build a fire, and not do a-ny-thing. So that's pretty much what I achieved this weekend!  We drove up on Thursday to a cute little cabin with a big wrap-around deck, a wood-burning fireplace, and a hot tub.

We busted out of the car, ready to get the weekend started, but then everyone was hit with a big, terrible disappointment when we realized we had bought hot beer and didn't have even one measly cold can.  Never fear!  I busted out some of my gained-from-TV knowledge and filled up the sink with ice water, and started chucking cans in it.

That's J, demonstrating our cold-beer technique.  Win!


This was pretty much my view all weekend.  I really wanted a wood-burning fireplace after we had snuggled in front of that fire in sweatpants all weekend, until I got home and realized that everything in my duffel bag stank like I had been smoking a hog all weekend.  Also, I'm not sure I'd have been nearly such a fan if I was the one having to haul my butt outside to get more firewood all weekend.  

About the only thing of substance we did all weekend was dyeing my hair.  No joke, went to Food Lion, bought the stuff, did it.  I've been growing out my hair for what seems like forever, because it needs to be long for the wedding.  But I haven't colored it in probably two years, and my hair tends to get these crazy highlights.  Not always crazy good either - lately the back of my head has been pretty much orange.  No. Me. Gusta.

So here it is before - all undyed and such.

And here it is mid-process - we were a little freaked out about how dark it was looking, not to mention the fact that when I rinsed it out, it turned the bathtub RULL purple.

But not to worry - here's how it came out!


I was pleased that it didn't take away all of my highlights exactly, but it darkened it up and I don't feel like it looks quite so Bozo the Clown anymore.  I might still get the color tweaked a tad next time I finally get my hair cut (probably sometime in March or April) - but I'm loving how it looks for now.


All in all, it was a nice, relaxing weekend.  We all took turns cooking, and we had some amazing food.  Night one was L's delicious spaghetti and garlic bread, which produced enough leftovers to eat all weekend.  Night two was H's amazing vegetable beef soup with every kind of veggie I could think of.  Really need to hound her for that recipe.  Of course J and I were responsible for breakfast one morning (eggs, grits, livermush, bacon and biscuits - heart attack on a plate).  

The last night we went all out.  We marinated steaks, made baked potatoes, and had a delicious salad.  The guys plus H had also gone out to a trout farm and caught some fresh trout!  It was weird for me to think that I'd never had trout before, but I really don't think I had - and I liked it!  Though really, I'd probably like anything if you battered and fried it, put ranch dressing or butter on it, or served it over pasta.  Not kidding.  I don't discriminate a whole lot. 

And there's your mountain recap.  I know y'all were probably expecting something a lot more exciting, but the truth is that I can't say I put in contacts or real pants more than maybe once all weekend.  But it was lovely!



6 comments:

Claire Kiefer said...

I don't think your hair looked bad at all before, but it looks pretty now, too. :) I want a mountain weekend! That fireplace looks so cozy. The idea of spending an entire weekend in a cabin with a book and some wine sounds like heaven.

Micaela said...

i need a getaway :) just like yours, with the remedy for cold drinks ;) ha

i am loving your hair!

and i'm also LOVING "water for elephants"-- can't put it down! I've been reading all day and i'm right at the hotel scene ... SEXY! i suppose a movie date with my husband can pry me away but i'm pretty sure once we come home, i'll get back to the circus ;)

x

melissa. said...

Which hair dye did you use!? It turned out great!

Meredith said...

It's just cheapie stuff! Clairol Nice 'n' Easy Light Ash Brown (I think it's #114). We started with my roots, so that color got left on a little longer than the rest. I think that turned it a little more reddish than I would have liked on the top, but I still like it overall!

Nora said...

What is Sundrop? I've not heard of it. Is it like orange soda? And livermush? Again, I claim ignorance here as I have no idea what it is, so let me know!?
Love the hair it looks great and glad you had such a great time.

I've definitely done the ice water + beer thing before. It *totally* works!

Meredith said...

I think I'm going to do a little "what in the world are you talking about, you crazy redneck?" post - because I'm realizing that sometimes I speak a foreign language. But Sundrop is now (I hear) availabe nationwide - it's kind of like a mix between Sprite and Mountain Dew? That's a poor way to describe it, but it's my absolute favorite. And if I tell you what livermush is, you won't eat it. Plus I'm not really sure myself. But it's also delicious and I highly, highly recommend it (you buy it in the refrigerator case with the sausage).